Unlike PubMed Central, Europe PMC provides a single point of access to not only full-text articles but additionally the abstracts available through PubMed. The Europe PMC interface also offers novel features and functionality, including links to other relevant content, integrated text and data mining tools and grant reporting services through Europe PMC plus.
Europe PubMed Central is a portal created by the the European Bioinformatics Institute, The University of Manchester (Mimas and NaCTeM), and the British Library (in cooperation with the with the National Center for Biotechnology Information at the U.S. National Library of Medicine), which allows users to search a variety of open access biomedical literature. The portal lists coverage of the following publications:
- PubMed abstracts (about 22 million)
- Europe PMC full text articles (about 2.2 million, of which over 400,000 are Open Access)
- Patent abstracts (over 4 million European, US, and International)
- National Health Service (NHS) clinical guidelines
- Agricola records (500,000)
- Supplemented with Chinese Biological Abstracts and the Citeseer database.
Read on for an overview of how to search Europe PubMed Central to locate open-access biomedical literature, patent abstracts, and even grant information!