- TotalPatent has added both additional coverage (such as full text of Taiwan patent data including English machine translation) and improved PDF retrieval options.
- Users can now view an download PDF images from the USPTO Full Text and Image Database.
- The patent collections of Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have been added to WIPO’s free PATENTSCOPE search system.
Professional patent searchers need to stay up-to-date on the coverage and new features of both free and subscription patent databases, so continue reading to learn about these important updates to three popular search systems.
TotalPatent recently announced new coverage and features. The new additions are:
- Full text of Taiwan patent data including English machine translation, and additional bibliographic data.
- Additional India patent data, including full text and bibliographic, from 1912 – 1975 as well as additional PDFs for documents published after 1975.
- Expanded WIPO English machine translations of non-Latin (Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian) full-text collections 1978 – 2013.
The new features are:
- New option for sharing the original document PDF with non-subscribers.
- One-click retrieval of PDF from Results Lists, Work Folders, and more access points within TotalPatent.
- Improved assignee field coverage for U.S. Applications—when the Assignee name in U.S. applications is blank, TotalPatent will populate the blank field with the Assignee name from the granted U.S. patent, which is intended to improve searching, display, delivery and analytics.
PDFs on USPTO Patent Full-Text Databases
According to a recent email announcement from the Patents Alert USPTO News service:
The USPTO has upgraded the USPTO Full Text and Image Database. It now uses PDF images instead of TIFF images which provides several new benefits including the ability to print full documents. Patent images may be viewed, printed and saved using a standard PDF-equipped browser. A separate TIFF plug-in is no longer required. In addition to the standard page-by-page viewing, users may now also click on a “Full Document” button to retrieve all the patent images at once.
This PDF download service is much quicker and easier to use than the previous TIFF images of US patent documents available on USPTO’s PatFT and AppFT, but the Google Patent database is still probably the faster and easier free option for downloading full US patent PDFs individually.
Egypt, Bahrain, and UAE Collections on PATENTSCOPE
The last time we looked at PATENTSCOPE, the free patent search portal provided by WIPO, a US patent collection had been added to the system. According to an August 2013 news release on the WIPO website, the coverage of the portal has again expanded with patent data from three Middle-Eastern countries:
The patent collections of Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have recently been published on WIPO’s global patent search system PATENTSCOPE. The three collections are available in both Arabic and English for the bibliographic data; the full description will be added shortly.
More Patent Search News to Come…
The Intellogist Blog will continue to provide updates on important new coverage and features added to major patent and non-patent literature search systems, and you can contribute your suggestions on what you would like to see mentioned in upcoming posts. Add your suggestions in the comments section, or send us your suggestions for new Intellogist content at the “Contact Us” section of the Intellogist website.
Let us know which updates and new search systems are important to you!
This post was contributed by Joelle Mornini. The Intellogist blog is provided for free by Intellogist’s parent company Landon IP, a major provider of patent searches, trademark searches, technical translations, and information retrieval services.