[tweetmeme source=”Intellogist” only_single=false] Let’s face it: patents aren’t renown for their humor. Patents may be fascinating documents that hold invaluable scientific and legal information, but they just aren’t knee-slappers. So where can a professional in the IP field get their daily chuckle? Fear not, folks: goofy patents do exist. You just need to know where to look.
The Intellogist Blog has reviewed a good number of interesting patent documents: from the odd to the godly, for both ladies and gentlemen. But let’s search outside our own borders and venture into exotic locales to hunt for the wildest patents (and patent applications) we can find. Read on to find the top 11 sources for crazy patent documents!
1. The Patent Search Blog (tag: Inventions) – Steve van Dulken’s Patent Search Blog analyzes some goofy patents under the “Inventions” tag. Some recent gems include Sunglasses for Dogs and The Bum Box.
2. The Article One Partners Blog (tag: Top 5)– This blog has some hilarious “Top 5” lists, like Top 5: Pet Patents and Inventions (check out the doggy umbrella) and Top 5 : Celebrity Patents and Inventions (of course, Charlie Sheen is an inventor).
3. patently silly (Last updated 6/17/2010) – This blog includes pictures, commentary, and even videos on some of the weirdest patents around. They have a handy Archives with patents classified under sections like “Food & Drink” and “Hanging Out.”
4. IP Funny (Last updated 7/23/2007) – This blog doesn’t seem to be updating anymore, and the link to their new website (www.wtfpatents.com) seems to be broken. You can still browse through the archives of silly patent images and general IP-related humor, like the Jet Powered Surfboard or the device for Herding Chickens.
5. Funny Patents and Inventions (Last Updated 8/3/2009) – Although this blog also doesn’t seem to be updating, it still includes pictures and descriptions of truly outlandish inventions, like Alcoholic Beverages Derived from Animal Extracts and No Smoking Sign Ashtray.
Lists and Websites
6. Interesting Patents (Gallagher & Dawsey) – This law firm website includes a great list of notable patents, divided into sections like “Famous Inventors’ Patents,” “Patents for Your Pets,” “Weird and Wacky Patents,” and “Historic Patents.”
7. Brown & Michaels Weird and Wonderful Patents – Everything about this list is wacky, from the title of each section (“Medical Advances (?)”) to the images and commentary about each strange invention.
8. Totally Absurd Patents – A lengthy list of silly inventions that includes both pictures and commentary. My only beef with this site is that they don’t include the patent or application numbers for each patent description.
9. Gallery of Obscure Patents (Delphion) – Animated drawings of the inventions in action accompany many of the strange patents described in this list. Be sure to check out the Gallery Archive for more odd patents.
I’m sure there are other blogs or websites out there that describe strange and hilarious patents from around the world. Let us know in the comments where you get your strange-patent fix!
This post was contributed by Joelle Mornini. The Intellogist blog is provided for free by Intellogist’s parent company Landon IP, a major provider of patent searches, trademark searches, technical translations, and information retrieval services.