a software program designed to replace paper laboratory notebooks. Lab notebooks in general are used by scientists, engineers, and technicians to document research, experiments, and procedures performed in a laboratory. A lab notebook is often maintained to be a legal document and may be used in a court of law as evidence. Similar to an inventor’s notebook, the lab notebook is also often referred to in patent prosecution and intellectual property litigation.
Patent professionals benefit when researchers utilize ELNs to methodically document their findings in a format that is easy to search and share. Researchers, check out this LibGuide that contains a list of subscription and free ELNs that you can utilize during your next project.
After the jump, we’ll take a closer look at the free ELNs included on the LibGuide list, and we’ll also take a look at a key search strategy for prior art searchers!
The LibGuide Research Data, created by Daureen Nesdill, M.S., M.L.I.S. of the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah, contains a number of useful sections, such as lists of Data Repositories and Experimental Design & Statistics Resources. The section that we’ll focus on today is Electronic Lab Notebooks/Virtual Workspaces, which contains:
- Background information on ELNs (including diagrams illustrating how ELNs function).
- ELNs at the University of Utah.
- Reasons for using ELNs/virtual workspaces.
- The Atrium Research list of ELNs.
- Additional ELN products.
- CyNote - Laboratory notebook using version control system and independent date-time stamping (as notarization), in order to ensure record accountability, auditing, and conforming to US FDA 21 CFR 21′s rule on electronic records.
- LabJ-ng - LabJ-ng is a laboratory notebook for organic chemists. It has a client-server architecture with a web browsers interface. Data is stored on MySQL database. Chemical reactions are drawned in java applet window. See projct website for example.
- Monster Journal - The Monster Journal – An electronic journalling program to replace the paper notebook.The Monster Journal provides the user a centralized, easily accessible electronic notebook for storing thoughts, ideas, and answers to questions.
- MyLabBook - The aim of MyLabBook is to create an online electronic lab notebook (ELN) that builds on on the Drupal framework. Features include Semantic Web technologies, graphing and plotting, Google maps, and other analysis capabilities.
- Open enventory - Web-based Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN) with integrated Chemical Inventory by the group of Prof. Goossen (TU Kaiserslautern, Germany), based on PHP/MySQL. Allows (sub-)structure search, reaction planning, management of spectra and literature.
- PNNL - The Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN) – a collaborative, web-based analog of the paper notebook. The ELN can be used to share and record text, images, 3-D molecular structures, live graphs, etc. and can be extended to support additional data types.
- tags4lab -Electronic Laboratory Notebook based on Folksonomies and Semantic Web principles.
This post was contributed by Joelle Mornini. The Intellogist blog is provided for free by Intellogist’s parent company Landon IP, a major provider of patent searches, trademark searches, technical translations, and information retrieval services.