The WIPS Global Intellogist Report has been fully updated, and the big news is that a new system, WIPS Global ADVANCED, will be replacing WIPS Global version 4 by March 2013. Last week we looked at the patent coverage and search features on WIPS Global ADVANCED, including the integrated search forms, step search options, and the new family, citation, and company search forms. Now, let’s explore the result display and analysis features for the system, such as an Easy Viewer option to quickly scroll through search results and the SmartAngle analysis tool for analyzing collections of results.
Read on to learn about the analysis and viewing features of WIPS Global ADVANCED, and I’ll summarize what I felt were the main strengths and weaknesses of the system!
Saving, Viewing, and Analyzing Search Results and Queries
After conducting a search, queries can be saved individually in folders or registered as SDIs. Users can create a query SDI, a citation SDI, or a Family SDI. SDI alerts cost the user points, which are deducted from their personal account on WIPS Global ADVANCED.
Each search form allows users to customize the output of the search results, including which fields to display, the format of the list (list/block/drawings), and number of results per page. The search results are displayed directly beneath the search forms (except in the step searches, where the user must select to view each step’s result list).
Each search result includes a number of options:
- Select the PDF icon to download a full PDF image of the document.
- Select the document number or title to open a full record view.
- Select the Claim icon to open the Claim Analysis screen, which includes three tabs:
- Claim Tree - View the relationships between the document claims.
- Claim Keywords - View keywords extracted from each claim.
- Claim Comparison - View a comparison of two different versions of the claim in adjacent windows with keywords highlighted. (A tool that allows the user to view ALL versions of the claims in a patent file history is available through the Patent Workbench® Reader.)
- Select the Citation icon to open the Citation Analysis screen. The citation analysis screen includes a text mode and visual mode for both “Citations” and “Citations from description.”
- Text mode includes a customizable chart of backwards and forwards citations, organized according to selected criteria (applicant, IPC, country). A list of all cited and citing documents is displayed below the chart.
- Visual mode includes a customizable timeline/depth map that illustrates the relationships between various citations.
- Select the Family icon to open the Family Analysis screen. The family analysis screen includes four tabs:
- Statistics and List - Customizable charts showing the breakdown of the family based on application year, IPC, applicant, etc. A list of all family members is also available under this tab.
- Family Country Profiles - A world map with country coverage for the family members visualized.
- Time Series View - A timeline listing family members by patent date or filing date.
- Compare Documents - Select two family members and view their bibliographic information, claims, or legal status in two adjacent windows.
- Select the window icon to open the full record in a separate window.
Users can select individual results via the check boxes beside each result in the list. After selecting all relevant documents from the results list, the user can choose:
- SmartAngle- An analysis tool that analyzes the selected patents based on a variety of optional criteria. Users can choose the chart analysis (create up to four charts and graphs based on analysis of various fields), cross matrix (select fields for the x and y axis to create a matrix listing the number of patents that meet both sets of criteria for each data field), and classification (“categorize the fields from SmartAngle in more details and group the details in folder tree formation to view the data of the desired field and to conduct filtering”).
- Easy Viewer- A simple list view of all selected documents, and users can select to view the abstract, representative drawing, and exemplary claim for each document. Users can also define up to three keyword highlighting terms. A “User Classification” section allows users to create and apply tags to the selected documents. Users can view documents in PDF format or in Express View through the Easy Viewer (Express View displays text in one window of the screen and drawing thumbnails in an adjacent window).
- My Folder - Save documents to a folder.
- Download - Download document text (select fields), drawings, and PDF images. Document text can be downloaded in XLS, TXT, MDB, or PMDX (ThinKlear) formats. Downloads cost points, which are deducted from the user’s account.
In the full record view, the user can view bibliographic data, description, and claims under three separate tabs. Thumbnail drawings are displayed in a side panel.
Users can add custom highlighting to any text under the description and claims tabs. Other options available under the full record view include:
- Express View of the record.
- Claim Analysis screen for the record.
- Citation Analysis screen for the record.
- Family Analysis screen for the record.
- Add the record to a folder.
- Download text, drawings, or a PDF image of the document.
Finally, users can select from a list of options in the upper right corner of the screen:
- Search - Return to the main search menu.
- My Folder - View saved patents and add bulk tags (under the Patent Folder tab), view and re-run saved queries (under “Query Folder”), and view your most recent queries (under “Query History”).
- SDI - View your SDI queries and results.
- My Page - View download history, point usage history, post inquiries to receive answers from a WIPS representative, change your personal information, change the password, or cancel membership.
- Help - View an index for all sections of the online manual, view a FAQ section, and view the latest news on the system. Phone numbers for the help desk are also available.
- Ability to add user-defined tags to records, either individually or in bulk.
- Multiple search form options, including iterative search (step search), a command line form, and fielded search options.
- New search forms that weren’t previously available on WIPS Global version 4 – Family Search, Citation Search, and Company Search.
- Standardized company names.
- Multiple analysis options for individual records (family, claims, citations), as well as an in-system analysis tool for analyzing selected collections of records (SmartAngle).
- Easily accessible help materials online, as well as search tips, reference charts, and an error checking tool accessible directly below beneath the search forms.
- No options for importing records.
- Limited custom highlighting (only up to 3 different colors, compared to the 5 colors available on PatBase). The highlighting option also doesn’t seem to accept truncation, Boolean, or proximity operators.
- No left truncation available.
- Search forms automatically clear the current search criteria or search history (for the step forms) when the user switches between forms. Past queries do appear to be available in the Query History section of My Folder, but it requires extra time to re-enter the query in the correct search form.
This post was contributed by Joelle Mornini. The Intellogist blog is provided for free by Intellogist’s parent company Landon IP, a major provider of patent searches, trademark searches, technical translations, and information retrieval services.
Filed under: Intellogist Updates, Patent Analysis, Patent Search News, Patent Search Systems, Search Tips and Tricks Tagged: | Intellogist update, patent analysis, patent search, WIPS Global, WIPS Global Advanced