I’m always happy to find new trademark search tools, especially free search tools that can be used as an alternative to the Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS). Professional trademark searchers are able to easily navigate TESS due to their years of experience utilizing both the command line and search form interfaces, but less experienced searchers conducting a preliminary trademark search may find the TESS interface a bit difficult to use. We’ve looked at one alternative, TMQuest, a free US trademark search tool created by Minesoft. I’ve recently come across another free trademark search site, Trademarkia, that also allows users to search for domain names, logos, trademarks currently published for opposition, brand ideas, and the option to search social media networks for brand names.
After the jump, we’ll look at the search features of Trademarkia and see how the site compares to TESS!
Registration and Search Features
Trademarkia is a free online trademark search portal, created by by Abhyanker P.C., a US-based trademark filing law firm. According to Trademarkia’s “About Us” section, the site searches “more than 6 million trademarked logos, names, and slogans on the Internet.” Users can register to create a free account, but all search features can be used without any registration. Users can register directly on the website or sign in through Facebook. Registered users have access to a “My Trademarkia Account”, where they can view unfinished logo design orders, unfinished trademark orders, unfinished office action orders, and finished orders.
On Trademarkia, users can choose from a number of search options (organized under 6 tabs on the main search form):
- Name – Search by trademark name in a keyword search form.
- An advanced search form is available for this option (search by name, filing date, category, “goods & services”, and status).
- An international search form is also available. Users can select a country (Europe, Canada, France, Germany, UK, Australia, Mexico, Spain, Italy, and Japan) and enter a phrase or term in the keyword search form. It is unclear where the data is obtained from for these international searches, but the system most likely utilizes free data sources from the selected country’s intellectual property office.
- Domain – Search by domain name. Available domain names can be purchased.
- Logo – Search by company name or logo description.
- An advanced search form is also available for this option (search by logo description and legal status).
- Fights – Search for U.S. trademark applications in their 30 day opposition window. Users can filter by number of days left in the opposition window and view lists of “biggest bullies,” “biggest hecklers,” and “biggest victims” and rankings of top companies, law firms, and attorneys. For a fee, users can file an extension to oppose a trademark or select to oppose the trademark (for an hourly fee).
- Brand Idea – Type in a keyword to generate branding ideas for a domain, trademark, or logo. The domain and trademark idea generator options didn’t appear to function during testing. The logo idea generator created text images (based on the input keywords) in varying fonts and colors.
- Social Networks – Check the brand, product, or user name on social media sites. After entering a keyword or phrase, the results will display which social media platforms are free for you to register a brand name and which sites already have that brand username registered.
- Read or write reviews of the trademark.
- Create an email alert on status changes.
- Add the full record page to the “favorites” section of the browser.
- View documents related to the trademark (by searching directly in the Trademark Document Retrieval (TDR) system on he USPTO website).
- Search the trademark name on social media sites.
- Start the trademark filing process.
- View costs to protect a trademark internationally.
- Create a custom logo design ($99).
This post was contributed by Joelle Mornini. The Intellogist blog is provided for free by Intellogist’s parent company Landon IP, a major provider of patent searches, trademark searches, technical translations, and information retrieval services.